CLIPS AND COMMENTARY FROM CANADA'S BEST KNOWN UNDISCOVERED OLD WHITE BLUESMAN

Friday, May 28, 2004

Next time I'll keep my mouth shut department

Maybe it's because I just went to this native style pipe circle evening
that I'm being a little hard on myself but I had one of those little
reminders that one should avoid tooting one's own horn. I'm often in a
position to recommend an artist for a gig - sometimes a high profile gig,
after all I work for a big jazz festival and I've been a Juno judge, even
chair for jazz & blues at the Indie Awards, and every summer I help select
the Subway Musicians - (did I say I was going to avoid tooting my own
horn?). Anyway, I'm talking to RC and we're talking about the election
being called on the 28th and I'm wodering out loud if it will hurt the big
blues show that night. Then I mention casually that that I had suggested
her to open the show and the Artistic Director thought it would be a great
idea until he looked up her itinerary on the web and said she's not
available. Oh well, next...But now she asks me what was the date and I tell
her the 28th and she says "I available on the 28th of June, it's the 28th
of July I'm working!" It seems the tour dates on her website went June 24,
Jun 25, Jun 26, Jun 27, Jul 28 so JG misread. I'm sorry that I didn't check
it myself...I'm sorry I even suggested he check the tour dates on the web
(I should have just let him make the call)...and really, I'm sorry that I
got sucked in to that process. I've been reminded more than once to leave
the programming to the experts.

Anyway, I should be more concerned about programming *myself* into a few
festivals. Tomorrow the Colorblind Support Committee will meet to make a
strategy and timeline to unleash this talent on the world. (meanwhile I
have to find a way to hand over my (desktop) publishing empire to my son
who's not really into it - yet! so that I can plan a full touring schedule).

I've got three brand new tunes to regale them with - the one I wrote
tonight goes like this:

What will they say when I'm gone?
Will they just recall what I did wrong?
Some have their perception - some just don't see.
What will they say about me?