CLIPS AND COMMENTARY FROM CANADA'S BEST KNOWN UNDISCOVERED OLD WHITE BLUESMAN

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

@Sugarbrownblues @tobluessociety hump day @jazzbistroTO


via Instagram @brianblain

Sugar Brown is an artist I've admired for a while. He was pretty rough around the edges when I first heard him but I always thought he was "official" (as Professor Piano used to say). I was a little shy to come down and see him at the Bistro because I had sat in with him a couple of times recently and the last time I have to say that I was not "in the pocket" like I usually pride myself. In fact I had bugged Michelle Josef, his drummer, to get me a shot playing bass with Sugar and had even said to Sugar himself that not many people would be able to follow him but that I was one who could. Well, WRONG! Maybe I was just having too much fun. Anyway he was a real gentleman about it (I kidded with him that he was a "scholar and a gentleman" because he is actually a college professor with a PhD.)